Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Apple Chicken Salad

Today I made a simple salad with grilled chicken on it for dinner. This is the second time I have made it and it is now officially my go to salad of choice. I actually find myself craving it which is not something I would have ever imagined myself saying! I find the more I eat clean non processed natural foods, the better they taste and the worse unhealthy foods taste. Who knew!
I start with chicken breasts which I buy from HEB that are natural with no preservatives. Slice them in half so you get two thin breasts instead of one thick one. Put them on a grill pan on the stove and sprinkle with salt and pepper as well as any other spices you like. I use Tony Chachere's creole or Spicy seasoning. Once the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes let is sit and rest while you assemble the salad.
I use red leaf lettuce and cut up in small pieces instead of tearing it. Much easier to eat this way. Add 1 small chopped Gala or Fiji apple. About a 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives, 2 chopped roma tomatoes, 1 cup of broccoli slaw and about 1/4 cup of pine nuts. For the dressing I squeeze the juice of one lemon and mix with about 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and Spike (Great healthy seasoning that goes well with meats, fish and salads). Slice your chicken and add to the salad and enjoy!
I can see changing this up according to what I have on hand, maybe using strawberries instead of apple and walnuts or pumpkin seeds instead of pine nuts. The nice thing about this is that you can make the chicken breasts ahead of time put them in the fridge and just heat up when needed. The whole meal can be put together in under 10 minutes.


1 comment:

  1. this salad sounds amazing and yummy and i'm gonna make it tomorrow!! thanks, judy!!

    ReplyDelete